JavaScript debugging (client side) with PHP

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

JavaScript debugging (client side) with PHP

Postby Jradxl » May 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Hello Devsense, or anyone else..
I have the vs2017 version trial running and have tried to debug JavaScript a) as a .js file in a script tag, and b) as embedded in script tag.
I'm impressed that with IE it works in the IDE as a break point and local variables.
In Edge it seems only to work with the developer tools in the browser.

Please can you say what is to be expected with your current vs2017 version. I thing your documentation is out of date or I've not found the right documentation yet!!

Also, can I expect such in Firefox, Opera and Chrome?
If so I need to know what to install and how to configure.

Thx
John
Jradxl

Re: JavaScript debugging (client side) with PHP

Postby jazz » June 4th, 2017, 11:38 pm

You can already debug JS in Chrome and Firefox. In fact Chrome had it built-in first and has probably the most mature developer tools of the lot.

As for how this relates to PHP Tools? I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but if it is "can I debug JS running in the browser using VS2017?", the I will just say "probably not ever".
Try Hazaar MVC - http://www.hazaarmvc.com
The MVC Framework that makes PHP not suck!

jazz

Postby Miloslav Beno » January 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm

UPDATE: Chrome JS debugger is supported for PHP Projects in VS since version 1.30.
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby mhpcc » January 18th, 2019, 9:47 pm

jazz wrote:You can already debug JS in Chrome and Firefox. In fact Chrome had it built-in first and has probably the most mature developer tools of the lot.

As for how this relates to PHP Tools? I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but if it is "can I debug JS running in the browser using VS2017?", the I will just say "probably not ever".

ASP.NET projects automatically hook Chrome/IE and map the websites js to the project files, so that's very much possible. Also see the update from Miroslav.

Also, Visual Studio is awesome for debugging applications in general. Whether native or managed, whether with or without debug information. It's an almost essential tool next to IDA/Olly if you're reverse engineering.
mhpcc

Postby WeedHopper » February 13th, 2019, 8:28 pm

WeedHopper

Return to PHP Tools