Some intellisense errors/warnings do not show a tooltip.

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Some intellisense errors/warnings do not show a tooltip.

Postby DanTalash » June 20th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Usually when you have some kind of issue in the code, hovering your mouse over the underlined code will display a tooltip indicating what the problem is.

In some cases I am unable to view the message. For example, the following simple function has 3 different problems:

Code: Select all
function foo($input) {
    $divisionByZero = 1 / 0;

if ($input) {
        return $divisionByZero;
    }

$unusedVar = 1;
}

The issues are that not all paths return a value, division by zero, and an unused variable. I am unable to see the message regarding the unused variable. See the following recording:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanTalash

Re: Some intellisense errors/warnings do not show a tooltip.

Postby Jakub Misek » June 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm

It should also show you the `$unusedVariable` info (see attachment), not just the warning.

Also I've noticed the the function tooltip is not correct (it states `mixed $bar` and return type `void`), it should be `$input` with return type `double|integer`.

We couldn't replicate the issue - may I ask for your activity log? (https://docs.devsense.com/troubleshooti ... itylog-xml)

It might be problem with your license, or another extension you have in VS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Re: Some intellisense errors/warnings do not show a tooltip.

Postby DanTalash » June 21st, 2018, 9:10 pm

I was having a lot of difficulty reproducing this issue on a fresh VS boot until I realized that it only happens when the debugger is listening. See updated screen recording.

Hopefully this is enough to repro on your side. If you still need I can provide the activity log, but there doesn't appear to be any errors in there.
DanTalash

Return to PHP Tools