Issue when running a laravel app built-in server - Error 500

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Issue when running a laravel app built-in server - Error 500

Postby Thomas233 » May 18th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hello,

I want to make PHP Tools with VS 2017 Community to become my new IDE for coding some things in PHP if I have success.

However, it doesn`t yet really work for me and for what I want to do.

I have no problem with a "normal" simple PHP script, but if I run my more extended Laravel framework application from built-in webserver I did not yet have (full) success.

I found that thread and followed the steps from there to configure the settings:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1768&p=7981&hilit=laravel#p7981

Steps:
1) Properties -> Application -> Web root -> changed to "public"
2) Properties -> Server -> Routing script -> changed to "server.php"
3) Finally in Properties -> Application -> Start action changed to "Specific Page" and "public/" to enable xdebug

If I do not perform the second step (change of routing script) I get the default laravel page "not found" showing up succesfully (so it seems to work basically). But then my routings are not recognized.

When I change the routing script, after restarting, in the browser the error code 500 is returned immediatly from the server and a blank page is displayed (no more content).

VS 2017 and Platform Tools are on latest versions.

Tried with PHP 7.1 and 7.2 and built-in webserver.
On a WAMP installation the app performed well earlier.

Any chance to find out what is wrong or some sort of error log available anywhere to find out more ?

Please help, up to now I think the dev tools are really a quite cool thing if I could use them.

Thank you !
Thomas233

Re: Issue when running a laravel app built-in server - Error

Postby Thomas233 » May 20th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Hi,

nevermind ;-)

Switched over to IIS Express configuration, with default settings (except for web root set to "public") works superb also with debugging. Great !

:shock: :D

Thanks !
Thomas233

Re: Issue when running a laravel app built-in server - Error

Postby Miloslav Beno » May 21st, 2018, 11:16 am

Hi,

I'm glad it was that easy to solve :-) 500 error is just cover for particular error and we would need to figure out which was it - e.g. by error_log direction in php.ini.

Anyway IIS Express or WAMP is still better option than PHP built-in.

Have a good one,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools