Use of solution / project files in a TFS multi user environm

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Use of solution / project files in a TFS multi user environm

Postby srcurtis » March 2nd, 2018, 2:24 pm

Hi

I would appreciate some clarification with regards solution / project files in a TFS multi-user environment.

Can multiple users share the same solution / project file or must each coder have their own?

I notice that in the PHP Tools project settings there is an option to "Apply settings to all users (store in project file)". From this I am assuming that it's fine for all users to share the same solution / project file yet retain their local settings providing that this option is not selected.

I would appreciate some advice on how we should proceed and how other users are working with PHP Tools in a similar TFS multi-user environment.

Thanks

Steve
srcurtis

Re: Use of solution / project files in a TFS multi user envi

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 6th, 2018, 9:30 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question.

Yes, multiple developers should share same solution and project through TFS. We do it like this as well. We have "Apply settings to all users" for all and we use IIS Express ( you can use LAMP, XAMPP or any other apache distribution if you want). Each of the developers has it locally.

Please let me know if that helped or you'd need more information.

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby srcurtis » March 8th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Hi

We publish on run to a directory unique for each developer on a remote Linux box.

What does the "Apply settings to all users" actually do? Obviously we need each developer to maintain their own publish settings.

Thanks

Steve
srcurtis

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 14th, 2018, 9:05 am

Hi,

This option will save current settings to the project file therefore it will be shared with everyone who opens the project. But I think that will work in your case, you would just have each developer to create their own publish profile and you wouldn't checkin that to tfs.

Please let me know if that makes sense somehow or I could try to explain in more detail.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools