missing resource for gacutil

Discussion about the open-source Phalanger [?] project.

missing resource for gacutil

Postby Remo » August 21st, 2012, 7:33 pm

I tried to put an assembly into the 4.0 gac using gacutil shipped with Phalanger. I didn't get any kind of message or error, didn't think too much about it. However, when I realized that the assembly wasn't in the GAC I began digging.

It seems like my user didn't have all the permissions, despite that I thought it's an admin user. But anyways, I didn't have all the permissions but I didn't get any error message.

It turns out that there's a file missing in phalanger. I had to create a subdirectory called 1033 and put gacutlrc.dll in it. Since I have a copy of visual studio on this computer, I was able to copy it from c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\

As soon as I copied that file I was able to run commands like gacutil /l which previously didn't print anything.

Is there any reason why that file is missing? I think it would be nice if we would get proper error messages ;-)
Remo

Return to Phalanger project