How to host only precompiled dll file for running wp on IIS?

Discussion about the open-source Phalanger [?] project.

How to host only precompiled dll file for running wp on IIS?

Postby Dharmik » February 23rd, 2012, 6:47 am

Referring to Article on setting up wp on IIS using phalanger (http://www.php-compiler.net/blog/2012/w ... langer-3-0), I wonder is it possible to run build file to pre-compile the application in webpages.dll and then remove all of or some of wp php source file file, and still able to run wordpress?

My objective behind this is to host only pre-compiled dll files and not php code on server.

I need your help and guidance on how to do it..

thanks
Dharmik

Re: How to host only precompiled dll file for running wp on

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 23rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

Hello,

WordPress is designed the way that it needs to have an access to its source code. It reads it as a data through file system functions(e.g. it needs plugin information header which is just text in plugin source file).

We have the feature that can solve this in our task list, but currently it's not implemented.
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Re: How to host only precompiled dll file for running wp on

Postby Jakub Misek » February 23rd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Hi,

It is possible to compile whole PHP web site (or only a part of it) into a single DLL. All the inclusion statements (include, requires, include_once, require_once) will then include scripts from the DLL. Script not found in the DLL will be included from file system.

This method only cannot work for file system functions (fopen, file_exists, file_get_contents etc). So I think plugins (at least the main plugin script, themes and similar parts of WP, that are checked whether they exist using file system functions, have to be present on file system). Files can be in DLL only, on filesystem only, or in both.

Take a look at http://wiki.php-compiler.net/Phpc.exe where is explained the syntax of phpc.exe tool, that compiles scripts into DLL. It will be something like
Code: Select all
phpc.exe /target:web root:. recurse:.
which produces bin/WebPages.dll file.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to Phalanger project