Mono and Phalanger

Discussion about the open-source Phalanger [?] project.

Mono and Phalanger

Postby pumedvidek@codeplex » August 25th, 2006, 11:14 am

I like your idea and I'm interested in trying Phalanger on Linux/Apache. You claim that Phalanger and recent version of Mono should work together. My question is twofold:

1) Is it possible to run compiled PHP scripts under Linux/Apache/Mono? mod_mono is supposed to be used?

2) Is it possible to compile PHP scripts on Linux/Mono? If yes, how can I setup Phalanger on a Linux box? I'm running SuSE 9.3, Mono 1.1.13.8 (latest stable) and "mono setup.exe" does not work, it only says "cannot open assembly setup.exe".

Please notice that though I work professionally with PHP, I'm a Mono newbie.

Thankx

Medvidek
pumedvidek@codeplex

RE: Mono and Phalanger

Postby Tomas Matousek » August 25th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Both tasks are possible. I'm not a Linux guy so I'm not able to tell you how to configure Apache on Linux to enable Mono, however, Phalanger should work with Mono to a large extent. Currently, we don't support a GUI installation for Linux nor for 64bit platforms (anybody who would like to take care of these tasks is welcomed). We'll release raw .NET binaries (along with .msi package) so that it will be possible to do the setup manully without source code compilation. The guide how to install Phalanger manually will also be available. Stay tuned.
Tomas Matousek

Postby pumedvidek@codeplex » August 28th, 2006, 9:42 am

Great. I'll keep watching your site.
pumedvidek@codeplex

Postby Lada Prosek » August 31st, 2006, 10:39 pm

A file named Phalanger-2.0-Beta2-Mono.zip has been added to the Beta 2 release. It contains everything that is needed for a manual installation. Please read the Readme.txt file in the archive root for further instructions. If you encounter any issues, please let us know.

And again, people who would like to take care of Mono/Linux deployment (create RPM, DEB, prepare sample Apache configuration files, ...) are more than welcome!
Lada Prosek

Postby fletchsod@codeplex » September 1st, 2006, 1:47 pm

I heard that there is a "AspDotNet" module for Apache (regardless of what O/Ses are out there). I have not tried it out myself though, so I don't know if this module support PHP and .NET via ASP.NET. But it's definitely not Mono though.
fletchsod@codeplex

Postby Lada Prosek » September 1st, 2006, 6:22 pm

Phalanger integrates at the IHttpHandler level so whatever works for ASP.NET should also work for Phalanger. We'll look at it, thanks.
Lada Prosek

Return to Phalanger project