Github vs Codeplex dichotomy

Discussion about the open-source Phalanger [?] project.

Github vs Codeplex dichotomy

Postby diddledan » March 19th, 2015, 9:56 pm

I'd like to suggest that it's a bit confusing to have binaries available via CodePlex but development hosted at GitHub.

Also it seems users are generally split evenly between posting issues on GitHub vs posting them on CodePlex or even posting them on here - ideally we need to consolidate to a single issue-tracker/point-of-contact to prevent missing people and causing them to have a bad time or feel ignored because the project members are monitoring somewhere else.

Ideally the issue tracker chosen to be the point-of-contact should be promoted on all the Phalanger websites and I think it is best to keep the issue tracker and code repository in the same system so that relationships between commits and issues can be maintained via issue numbers in commit messages and commit-id references in issues - I believe both CodePlex and GitHub support these features so it's more of a decision of where the best visibility can be maintained (in my humble opinion. My opinion also suggests keep everything on GitHub, which should also support binary releases - ref: the dichotomy with CodePlex I mentioned first-off).
diddledan

Re: Github vs Codeplex dichotomy

Postby Jakub Misek » March 20th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Hi,

GitHub is the primary channel. We'll try to point all the links there.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to Phalanger project