Speed With Large Projects

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Speed With Large Projects

Postby captaincrash » January 8th, 2013, 12:56 am

Sorry, another question from me; there seems to be a lot of input lag using this extension (we have a very large project; around 8k files).

When I was demoing VS.php I didn't get this experience - I think perhaps because it spent a good few minutes up front building the intelliesne cache? It also took a good few minutes adding files in PHP Tools and this was also instantaneous in VS. PHP (I think perhaps it completed in the background).

Do you have any tips/configuration that I can investigate to improve things for large projects? I'm considering going back to a simple web project because it's slowing me down so much...
captaincrash

Re: Speed With Large Projects

Postby CFI » January 8th, 2013, 8:22 am

How did you manage to get VS.php "fast" with 8k files?

We were using VS.php on a previous project with >>1k files and without splitting it up into several projects and unloading parts we where not working on it was also REALLY slow...

I am much more satisfied with PHP Tools now, but the new project has only ~1k files at the moment (but NO performance problems so far [using VS 2012]).
CFI

Postby captaincrash » January 8th, 2013, 10:03 am

I didn't do anything special re. VS.PHP, I guess it works the same way as the MS Native languages (I have an MVC project with around 10k files in it and that works just fine).

Is there any way to disable the PHP doc element of the intellsense stuff (as we have a lot of php doc tags in the code) so it just presents available elements opposed to the full descriptions?
captaincrash

Postby CFI » January 8th, 2013, 10:12 am

Maybee try to disable all other extensions to check if something other is the problem (in comination, as I had that a few times already) as my 1k files all have (parially huge) PHPdoc tags and there is NO noticably delay or anything for me...

BTW: Are you using VS2010 or VS2012?
CFI

Postby Jakub Misek » January 8th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Hi,

You may experience lag in very large projects. PHPDoc tags are very useful for Visual Studio, and may only improve the speed.

We are aware of this issue in version 1.5.xxxx and we are currently improving this into upcoming major update 1.6.xxxx.

Thank you, I'll keep you informed in this thread.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Postby captaincrash » January 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Using VS2012 (loving the dark theme) - the only other plugins I have are the JS extensions and Nuget (both of which I need) - so I await eagerly for the update.

I've reverted to a standard web project, getting intellisense for the standard PHP library but not for my own code - slowdown got to be to do with how the intellisense cache works...
captaincrash

Postby Jakub Misek » February 4th, 2013, 10:40 am

Just noting, speed in VS2012 should be improved in version 1.6.
Thanks
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to PHP Tools