Debugging PHP-Project

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Debugging PHP-Project

Postby sprinter » November 16th, 2012, 10:42 am

I've successfully installed, activated and set up PHP Tools in VS 2012 Ultimate (EN). Now when I hit F5 it tells me, that I need to run VS under an Admin-Account. Is there a way to get around this?
sprinter

Re: Debugging PHP-Project

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Hello,

In current release it's necesary to run VS as Admin to be able to debug PHP. It's necesary to be able to monitor processes that were started by system. Please note that ASP.NET debugging also requires Admin permissions.

However there are ways around it and we'll target this in one of the future updates.

Is it problem to run vs as Administrator in your setup?
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby sprinter » November 18th, 2012, 10:53 am

The problem is, that I'm running all this stuff inside a domain. Now my people need local administrative rights which is something I don't want because then they are able to change other stuff on the system too.

In VS 2012 you don't need administrative rights to debug ASP.NET because you can use IIS Express and Page Inspector. What about using page inspector as a start-option in PHP Tools too?

Thanks in advance, Alex
sprinter

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 18th, 2012, 11:17 am

Hi Alex,

You're right when debugging IIS Express you don't need administrative rights. It's needed just for system services.

What we can do is to easily allow non-administrative debugging for IISExpress and PHP 5.4 builtin server. That would be sufficient solution for you at this point? It could be included in the upcomming update.

About Page inspector... We'd love to include this for PHP, but it will take more time.

Thank you
Miloslav Beno

Postby sprinter » November 19th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Hi,

the builtin-method would be great. I never configured the IIS Express but I think, it should do the job. Thanks!

Alex
sprinter

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 20th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Hi Alex,

PHP Tools have ability to configure PHP on IISExpress automaticaly, so you shouldn't have a problem when using it.

So we'll include non-administrative debugging for IISExpress and PHP 5.4 builtin server in the upcoming update.

Thank you
Miloslav Beno

Postby sprinter » November 29th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Hey, thanks a lot for the quick update. It just worsk. Now I can hit F5 and my page inspector opens up. I don't have to be admin!!! Yeah!!!! :- )

Alex
sprinter

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 29th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Hi Alex,

great!:-) I'm glad it works for you.

Miloslav
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools