Publish feature performance

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Publish feature performance

Postby mhpcc » November 30th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Hello,

whenever I use the staging/publish feature you built in, the performance of visual studio seriously decreases. Not only during the publish, but any time a profile is configured. Every time I open a folder or a file it takes seconds, depending on how quick the connection to the remote is. Even with a local publish and a 960 evo ssd, there is a noticeable delay in opening files, sadly to the point of making visual studio completely unusable. It seems like every time any action is processed, it checks something in the background with the remote location.
I'd be completely file with small delays when actually publihsing or trying to see differences, but it affecting every click is too much. Could you look into that please?

Thanks.

Tested on 3 different machines, all with ssd's/nvme ssds. Happens with all both frp and local staging.

Edit: To make it clear, this issue is only present when publishing php projects. I can publish python web projects just fine without any noticeable performance impact.

Edit2: After digging through it more, I found that deleting the contents of the vendor folder gets rid of the huge performance impact. So a quick fix would be to give us an option to exclude folders (or automatically only publish folders that are part of the project). Interestingly enough, copying the vendor folder into a django project, the performance issue is not reproducable, so there is some other difference in how VS handles having a publish profile configured. I'd be happy however with just an option to exclude certain folders from the publish.

Edit4: For now I've solved it by configuring a publish feature before installing dependencies. Not the best solution, but viable if someone else runs into the same problem before it's fixed.
mhpcc

Re: Publish feature performance

Postby mhpcc » December 6th, 2018, 10:53 pm

SO, we can manually set files or folders to include in ./Properties/PublishProfiles/<profilename>.phppub.user. To exclude files, delete the lines of the vendor directory. Would be nice to get this as an option, but it's fine this was. Could you add that to the documentation? I doubt I'll be the only person running into this issue.

Thanks.
mhpcc

Return to PHP Tools