PHP Debugging without Administrative Privileges in VS2017

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

PHP Debugging without Administrative Privileges in VS2017

Postby jayowl » June 13th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Currently I'm debugging a vagrant/virtual box using PHP Tools. The problem is my administrator has to grant me administrative privileges over Visual Studio to get the PHP Tools Debugger working correctly. He doesn't want to give me administrative privileges for Visual Studio, therefore I am looking at an alternative solution. Is there any file or directory where he can grant me administrative privileges, not visual studio itself, so that I may use PHP Tools debugger correctly.

Thanks
jayowl

Re: PHP Debugging without Administrative Privileges in VS201

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 21st, 2018, 8:52 am

Hello,

Thanks for the post. We'been testing PHP Projects with debugger even with Guest user, which should work. But let us recheck that and get back to you asap.

Thank you,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 21st, 2018, 9:18 am

Hi,

So even guest should work. The only thing that required higher privilages waas installation of php/xdebug. But if you are already configured which I assume you are as you are using virtualbox, you could just setup the project for custom server in the project properties.

Please let me know if you'd need more info.

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby jayowl » July 6th, 2018, 5:08 pm

The administrator just gave me a batch that executes the my VS as administrator that resolved the issue.

My vagrant/virtual box is setup for the custom server currently and I did set it up manually in the project properties to communicate with the vagrant box.

We tried giving administrative privileges to the PHP tools itself, but that didn't work either.

I think VS needed the privileges to read/write the vagrant/virtual box, maybe not anything to do with PHP Tools. Again, microsoft did refer me to asking you guys about my ordeal.

Thanks for your time.
jayowl

Return to PHP Tools