VS2017 downloaded VSIX Installer Hangs indefinitely

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

VS2017 downloaded VSIX Installer Hangs indefinitely

Postby lieszkol » June 10th, 2018, 7:34 am

After upgrading Visual Studio 2017 to 15.7.3 I wanted to reinstall PHP Tools v. 1.25.10474, because my "subscription" ended at the end of last year (original order no: 46582367).

I downloaded php.vs.1.25.10474.2017.vsix from your website. VS installer shows the product selection screen, where I select VS 2017 community. After I click Install to begin the installation, the installer just hangs there indefinitely (well, for eat least half an hour because that's the longest I let it sit there). Clicking "Cancel" does nothing. I can close the window with the "X" button.

The only way I am able to install PHP Tools is through the Extensions and Updates tool accessible from within VS. However, this installs the latest version of PHP Tools, which I don't have a license for. Of course you can say, "renew your subscription!" but to be honest, considering that this is the third time I've had serious issues with PHP Tools, I'm having a hard time justifying forking out another 79 Euros for a product that I've already purchased. From my perspective, I've bought this product and so I should be able to somehow install the latest release that I have a license for on my version of Visual Studio.

I've tried rebooting, repairing Visual Studio, running the VSIX installer while VS is open (it then correctly notices that VS is running and waits for me to close it, but then it just hangs again). I've installed the newest version via Extensions and Updates, then uninstalled it, and then tried to run the older VSIX, but no luck.

I've also tried to install the newest 1.28.10848 by downloading the VSIX and fyi the same thing happens. There is somehow a difference between installing VSIX from the Extensions and Updates and downloading it from your website and running it that way.

Perhaps the replies in this thread [ viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2114&p=9175&hilit=vsix#p9175 ] would be of use, but they are in Polish (greetings from Budapest by the way).

I've spend hours trying to resolve this with no luck, please advise ASAP as this is very frustrating. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lieszkol

Re: VS2017 downloaded VSIX Installer Hangs indefinitely

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 11th, 2018, 7:37 am

Hello,

Thanks for writing us and sorry about the experience.

From the logs you've provided I can see that VS is having some issues to install their internal dependencies. Since VS2017 Microsoft completly controls the installation of the extensions through VSIX instead of our MSI for VS2010-VS2015 I was able to find another extensions having the same installation issue - maybe this can help https://github.com/github/VisualStudio/issues/1394

One another potential problem with 1.25 version is that although it's for VS2017, it's actually for older VS2017. Microsoft has been changing VS2017 significantly between updates so it's lot different now than it was when 1.25 version was released so there might be incopatibilities.

Apart from the link I've provided I'm going to write you an email, I'm sure we can set you up and running again.

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby lieszkol » June 15th, 2018, 7:15 am

Hi Beno,

Could you please resend that email? I didn't have the forward set up yet so it probably bounced.

And thanks for the quick reply!

I took a look at the related github extension issue and if I have half a day to mess with it I'll see if it's relevant. Right now I need to be productive :-)

THanks,
Laszlo
lieszkol

Postby lieszkol » June 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I have installed VS2017 on a fresh install of Win10 that has never had Visual Studio installed before. I was then able to install php.vs.1.25.10474.2017.vsix. However, I was NOT able to open any php files, because VS kept throwing the following error:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String Microsoft.Web.Core.Text.ITextProvider.GetText(Microsoft.Web.Core.Text.ITextRange)'.

I am attaching the relevant ActivityLog.xml and a screenshot of the error window.

I then uninstalled v1.25.10474 and installed the current version, v1.28.10848. This does not throw the error.

So I've come to conclude that the version that I have a license for no longer works on the current version of Visual Studio v15.7.3

I understand that it's not your fault that MS changed things about Visual Studio, however, from my perspective I've purchased software that is advertised as being compatible with Visual Studio 2017 - and it no longer is. So it is no longer a question of purchasing a new license to get access to some new features, it is a question of being forced to purchase a new license just to keep the program working. I don't think that's OK.

Thanks,
Laszlo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lieszkol

Postby lieszkol » June 20th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Still looking forward to your reply. It's been ten days since I'm unable to use PHP Tools because I updated VS, with no possible workaround that I can see...
lieszkol

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 21st, 2018, 8:38 am

Hi Lazso,

It seems you haven't receive the email we've sent you on June 11. I'm going to resend it to you as PM here in forum, hope you will receive that. Otherwise please let me know here.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby lieszkol » June 22nd, 2018, 11:24 am

Ok, thank you. Much appreciate your help getting this resolved.
lieszkol

Return to PHP Tools