PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 4th, 2018, 7:07 am

For a few versions now (both PHP Tools and Visual Studio) certain projects hang 100 out of 100 times when opening a solution which had open files when it was closed (and were opened with the solution load). This means when the "Preparing solution" loading bar is shown, it never goes away. I have tried waiting for it a considerable amount of time.

Currently the only workaround is to disable the PHP Tools extension, opening the project (and wiping open files) and then enabling it and opening the solution again.

The weird thing is that only certain solutions do this, while others do not. I cannot figure out the difference between the solutions that work and don't work. The one that freezes...
1. Has Solution Items folder
2. Is only one project in the solution
..but these differences do not seem significant.

This really is getting on my nerves now, so how can I help you track it down?

P.S. I am not 100% certain that this is PHP Tools' fault, but only PHP projects do this.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 6th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for posting this. This seems like a deadlock somewhere. We were fixing one in the latest update, did you try 1.28.10848 ?

If you did and the issue is still there, I would attach with different instance of VS and pause it. Then we can examine how call stack is looking for the main thread.

Please ping me if you tried an update and I will have someone to smoke test it with your observations.

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
User avatar
Miloslav Beno
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: January 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 7th, 2018, 8:08 am

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for posting this. This seems like a deadlock somewhere. We were fixing one in the latest update, did you try 1.28.10848 ?

If you did and the issue is still there, I would attach with different instance of VS and pause it. Then we can examine how call stack is looking for the main thread.

Please ping me if you tried an update and I will have someone to smoke test it with your observations.

Thanks!


Hi Miroslav,

I am using the latest update. I will try to hang it now and then post the callstack.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

Hi. I have attached the callstack. Funnily enough, I couldn't make it hang by just opening and closing the solution - had to restart VS.

Please let me know if I can help you further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for provinding us with the stack trace of all the threads. We couldn't replicate the issue, because it's caused by something particular in your solution. But we've changed few potential things that were likely to cause it. Could you please try this version to see if it fixes this for you?

- VS2010-2015 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PhpTools.1.28.10855.msi
- VS2017 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PHP.VS.1.28.10855.2017.vsix

Please let us know.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
User avatar
Miloslav Beno
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: January 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 12th, 2018, 8:50 am

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for provinding us with the stack trace of all the threads. We couldn't replicate the issue, because it's caused by something particular in your solution. But we've changed few potential things that were likely to cause it. Could you please try this version to see if it fixes this for you?

- VS2010-2015 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PhpTools.1.28.10855.msi
- VS2017 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PHP.VS.1.28.10855.2017.vsix

Please let us know.

Thank you!


Going to try this right now.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 12th, 2018, 9:03 am

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for provinding us with the stack trace of all the threads. We couldn't replicate the issue, because it's caused by something particular in your solution. But we've changed few potential things that were likely to cause it. Could you please try this version to see if it fixes this for you?

- VS2010-2015 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PhpTools.1.28.10855.msi
- VS2017 http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PHP.VS.1.28.10855.2017.vsix

Please let us know.

Thank you!


Okay, the results are as follows:
* If I just open and close the solution without closing VS, it never hangs (I believe it was like that before)
* If I close VS and then reopen it, it hangs every time.

I have a solution that never does this, and several that always do this (these are all with the same structure and on the same framework, the other one is not).

Can you please explain the reason that you have come up with, so I can help debug this? We *HAVE* to find it.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

Hi Vladislav,

We've removed some unnecesarry locks, but it obviously wasn't them. Would it be too much to ask you for providing us with the solution? You can delete as much as you want from it, so it just causes this? We also need suo file that contains opened tabs you have in VS.

We will find it! Thanks for helping us!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
User avatar
Miloslav Beno
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: January 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 12th, 2018, 11:11 am

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Vladislav,

We've removed some unnecesarry locks, but it obviously wasn't them. Would it be too much to ask you for providing us with the solution? You can delete as much as you want from it, so it just causes this? We also need suo file that contains opened tabs you have in VS.

We will find it! Thanks for helping us!


Link to solution sent in PM. The only thing I haven't included is the .git folder. Please keep me in the loop on this.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Re: PHP Tools (supposedly) hangs on "Preparing solution"

Postby BladeMF » June 12th, 2018, 11:26 am

BladeMF wrote:
Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Vladislav,

We've removed some unnecesarry locks, but it obviously wasn't them. Would it be too much to ask you for providing us with the solution? You can delete as much as you want from it, so it just causes this? We also need suo file that contains opened tabs you have in VS.

We will find it! Thanks for helping us!


Link to solution sent in PM. The only thing I haven't included is the .git folder. Please keep me in the loop on this.


Okay, here is a CLUE! This thing happens ONLY if you open the solution from the Resent list, it doesn't matter if it is from the file menu, or the start page and ONLY if it is fresh instance of VS. If you open the solution from the Team Explorer, it works. There was a similar issue with Android solutions several months before, but it was resolved, I think.
Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen very often.
BladeMF
 
Posts: 334
Joined: October 10th, 2012, 7:14 am

Next

Return to PHP Tools

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron

User Control Panel

Login

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 89 on October 15th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
Phalanger