Remove BOM in TextFile1.txt?

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Remove BOM in TextFile1.txt?

Postby AndyM84 » March 11th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Was just curious if there was any reason we needed to have a BOM in the blank TextFile1.txt item template? I just ran into a problem where I'd created a .mysql file for my migration system within VS and PHP Tools, and because of the BOM my PHP PDO migration script died. Took me a while to figure out why, so I was a little frustrated, but I don't want to assume I'm the only person who might be concerned with a BOM being present (or not!).

I've removed the BOM manually in my extension folder to resolve the problem for myself, but thought I'd ask in case that gets overwritten with each update of PHP Tools?

Thanks!
AndyM84

Re: Remove BOM in TextFile1.txt?

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 12th, 2018, 10:21 am

Hi Andy,

I can see we actually change this template to UTF8 BOM few years back. I'm not sure what was the reasoning, but I can see that is the standard in file templates in VS ( except PHP files :-) ).

I cannot change it back now, but we will consider it. For now you can create your mysql file template easily in VS2017 ( Project > Export Template ) or File > Export Template in previous VS versions.

Anyway I think we could just add .mysql file template.

Cheers
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Re: Remove BOM in TextFile1.txt?

Postby AndyM84 » March 15th, 2018, 4:53 am

Hi Miloslav,

Makes sense, one of those weird VS quirks you run into from time to time, I suppose. Thanks for the explanation, and I doubt anyone else would really need the template other than me and my picky self.

Thanks!
AndyM84

Return to PHP Tools