Offline Install Failure (VS 2017)

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Offline Install Failure (VS 2017)

Postby metal450 » February 27th, 2018, 8:33 pm

I'm trying to install PHP Tools to Visual Studio 2017 on an offline machine. When I run the installer, it doesn't mention any missing prerequisites - however, the installer fails. Here's the relevant portion of the log:

2/27/2018 12:30:52 PM - Install Error : Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.PackageFailureException: Package '8069B697-77E0-411D-9CE2-6E8FC83D1DFA' failed to download
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.InstallOperation.Run(CancellationToken token)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.RunOperation(InstallOperation installOperation, CancellationToken token, ExecuteAction action, ITelemetryOperation telemetryOperation)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.RunCoreOperation(InstallOperation coreOperation, ExecuteAction action, ITelemetryOperation telemetryOperation, CancellationToken token)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Install(Product product, String destination, CancellationToken token)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineInstall(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean installPerMachine, Boolean isPackComponent, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, IProgress`1 progress, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion, IInstalledExtension& newExtension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, InstallFlags installFlags, IDictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, IInstalledExtensionList modifiedInstalledExtensionsList, AsyncOperation asyncOp, IProgress`1 progress, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp, Version targetedVsVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

What is this missing package "8069B697-77E0-411D-9CE2-6E8FC83D1DFA" that it doesn't mention as a prerequisite?
metal450

Re: Offline Install Failure (VS 2017)

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 28th, 2018, 9:28 am

Hello,

Thank you for good question.

Microsoft recently changed VSIX installer that it requires verified publisher certificate to install the extension. However if you are offline Windows Crypto API just can't verify our certificate. Basicaly this has completly disabled to install any VSIX extension offline.

We've discussed this with DigiCert. Here is their answer:

Thank you for the email. The failed install is probably due to the checking of the certificate revocation list or CRL. Unfortunately if the certificate can't be verified as "not revoked" by checking the CRL, the only other option that we thought of would be a solution you would have to create that would manually check a CRL list that you would have to install on the server. This solution would require that you download the CRL and install it on the air gaped server and then manually tell the installer to look at that CRL file in the MMC to verify that the Certificate is not revoked. I hope that this response helps but unfortunately there isn't much that can be done unless the revocation list is checked.

I'm going to resubmit this issue to Microsoft, then I would ask anyone affected to vote on this issue.

Thank you,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 28th, 2018, 10:08 am

Miloslav Beno

Postby metal450 » March 9th, 2018, 1:23 am

Thanks, voted :)
metal450

Postby metal450 » October 9th, 2018, 8:02 pm

It sounds like Microsoft is refusing to fix this.

However, I've noticed that many other extensions I've downloaded actually do install offline, and I think the difference is that they don't have a digital signature. While it's obviously absurd that Microsoft would "penalize" developers who sign their extensions while allowing unsigned ones to be installed easily...how about providing an unsigned version of PHP Tools, as an optional different download just for those customers who really need to be able to install offline without having to grapple with VS2017's new broken extension installer? :)
metal450

Postby Miloslav Beno » October 22nd, 2018, 8:19 am

Yes, we can do that. I will PM you how you can get unsigned version.

If anyone else has the same issue just send us an email to info@devsense.com

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno

Postby metal450 » October 22nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

Great, thanks! Got your email :)
metal450

Postby Jakub Misek » October 24th, 2018, 2:48 pm

For anyone who needs the unsigned version
http://pub.devsense.com/phptools/PHP.VS ... osign.vsix