(done) Offline installation fails with VS 15.5.5

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

(done) Offline installation fails with VS 15.5.5

Postby mgnowak » February 1st, 2018, 1:00 pm

I could install 'PHP Tools for Visual Studio 2017' (v1.25.10474.2017) in VS 15.5.2 without an internet connection - and it worked. With Visual Studio 15.5.5 the installation always fails (I tried v1.25.10474.2017 and vs.1.25.10517.2017), Reporting "failed to download" errors (the dependencies are already installed). I have already tried it with disabled automatic update settings. VS runs on Windows 10 64bit with German language settings.

If I uninstall the extension in an updated VS installation (from 15.5.2 to 15.5.5) I cannot install it again. That means I cannot install any updates of the extension.

I reported the problem to Microsoft: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/191203/offline-installation-of-php-tool-extension-does-no.html
They replied: "We have determined that this issue belongs to https://www.devsense.com/ "

I have to work without internet connection on my development machine - it's a security policy.
mgnowak

Re: Offline installation fails with VS 15.5.5

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 14th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us.

Could you please send us VSIX log from the installation. You should get the log after failing to install. That would really help.

Thank you so much!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby mgnowak » February 15th, 2018, 4:48 pm

I'm not the only developer with this issue in our organisation - we have to work without an internet connection and we upgraded to VS2017 15.5.5 weeks ago - nobody can install the plugin.

The attached zip file contains the logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgnowak

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 16th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Hi,

Unfortunatelly this log doesn't contain information from the installation. Could you please send VSIX log? You wil get the log after failing to install of the extension.

vsix install log.png

Thank you so much,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miloslav Beno

Postby mgnowak » February 19th, 2018, 5:19 pm

The logs of multiple PHP-Tool install attempts were included in the Zip-file.
mgnowak

Postby mgnowak » February 19th, 2018, 5:22 pm

error_phptools_offline_install.png
Second error dialog
mgnowak

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 20th, 2018, 10:56 am

Hi,

sorry I haven't noticed the vsix logs in the original zip.

The error message really doesn't make sense because the guid is our package and you already have vsix downloaded. So I'm convinced it's some Microsoft component we need and it's failing to download.

I would suspect it's ASP.NET and web development tools workload, which is required for HTML,JS and CSS editor which we reuse.

We've tried to install our vsix package on the VS 2017 (15.5 and 15.6) offline and it worked. Both Visual Studios had ASP.NET and web development tools workload installed.

Please try this to get a installer with the workload https://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToMakeAnOfflineInstallerForVS2017.aspx or let me know if you already have the workload.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Hi,

Further analysis shows offline VS installation even with ASP.NET workload still has the issue you are describing. But we've discovered that cause of the issue is different.

VSIX installer (through Windows API) cannot verify our signature signed by DigiCert offline and therefore doesn't allow installation. When you are online Windows API installs necessary certificates automatically.

Here is more information you can give to your admin
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/install-certificates-for-visual-studio-offline

We are still investigating the issue and we will inform what exact certificates are necessary.

Thank you,
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 20th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hi,

Small update.

None of the certificates listed here will not fix that https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/install-certificates-for-visual-studio-offline

I've explained the issue to Microsoft here https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/191203/offline-installation-of-php-tool-extension-does-no.html

The issue is caused by Windows Crypto API trying to check our certificate and failing because it uses internet and VSIX installer is showing a dialog with unhelpful message, that packages failed to download.

We are trying to find a workaround so Windows Crypto API will be satisfied without the need to connect internet.

Thanks

Thanks
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » February 21st, 2018, 9:55 am

One more update:

We've discovered the VSIX installer is hard coded to check the certificate online and there isn't any workaround for this. We've written our findings to original issue posted on visual studio forum. Unfortunatelly now we can just wait for Microsoft to answer and provide solution.

Thank you for your patience
Miloslav Beno

Next

Return to PHP Tools