Error on update

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Error on update

Postby DanTalash » August 25th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Hi,

I cannot update my installation of PHP Tools to the latest version, as the operation errors out.

System information:

VS Version: Visual Studio Professional 2017 15.3.2
PHP Tools old version: 1.23.9750
PHP Tools new version: 1.24.10015

Log file is attached below.

After reading some of the other threads in this forum, I will now try uninstalling my version of PHP Tools before installing the new one.

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanTalash

Re: Error on update

Postby DanTalash » August 25th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Update: Uninstalling PHP Tools before installation of the new version worked, but broke my installation.

When I start Visual Studio I get shown this error message. The log file is attached below.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
The 'PHP Tools for Visual Studio Package' package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file 'C:\Users\dtalash\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c8d9c8c4\ActivityLog.xml'.

Restarting Visual Studio could help resolve this issue.

Continue to show this error message?
Yes No
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanTalash

Postby DanTalash » August 25th, 2017, 3:55 pm

The relevant section from the log file is as follows:

Code: Select all
Description: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\5wzieiig.214\PHP.VS.dll

I looked at where PHP Tools is actually installed, and the installation directory is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\0jb0linh.k5j

The directory that it looks in doesn't exist.

I manually copied the 0jb0linh.k5j folder and renamed the copy to 5wzieiig.214 and PHP Tools became functional again.

Hopefully this can be fixed so that installations and updates work out of the box again.

Regards,
Dan Talash
DanTalash

Postby Miloslav Beno » August 28th, 2017, 10:54 am

Hi Dan,

I would recommend to go to Estansion and Updates and uninstall previous version PHP Tools from here. Then try to install the latest version for VS2017, that should work.

Please let me know if that helped.

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby DanTalash » August 28th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Dan,

I would recommend to go to Estansion and Updates and uninstall previous version PHP Tools from here. Then try to install the latest version for VS2017, that should work.

Please let me know if that helped.

Thanks,

Hi Miloslav,

This is exactly what I did. However, after I uninstalled the old version from within Visual Studio, I was unable to successfully install the new version. This appears to be because the extension path was incorrect, and Visual Studio was still looking in the old directory for the extension, whereas the installer generated a new directory.

After I copied the files into the path expected by Visual Studio it started working. For more information see my posts above.

Regards,
Dan Talash
DanTalash

Postby Miloslav Beno » August 29th, 2017, 9:40 am

Hi Dan,

If you've uninstalled everything and you are still unable to install the new version, please try to delete this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\DEVSENSE

And you can try to install again.

Please let me know. Once you have the latest version for VS2017 installed you shouldn't have problem with updating to the newever versions.

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby DanTalash » August 29th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Miloslav Beno wrote:Hi Dan,

If you've uninstalled everything and you are still unable to install the new version, please try to delete this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\DEVSENSE

And you can try to install again.

Please let me know. Once you have the latest version for VS2017 installed you shouldn't have problem with updating to the newever versions.

Thanks,

Hi Miloslav,

I will try this with the next version, if updates still don't work.

Right now my dev environment is functional, so I am not going to waste time trying different variations of installation/updates.

Regards,
DanTalash

Return to PHP Tools