Visual Studio 2017 and NuGet

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Visual Studio 2017 and NuGet

Postby crille » April 27th, 2017, 7:20 am

Hi!

In the latest release of PHP Tools for VS 2017 the release notes say: "Removed Nuget support for PHP projects".

Why was the support for NuGet removed? Do you have plans to implement the support again?

For now, I mainly use VS 2017 for coding and when I need to do something with NuGet, I close everything down and opens the project in VS 2015 just to manage the NuGet part.
crille

Re: Visual Studio 2017 and NuGet

Postby Miloslav Beno » April 27th, 2017, 7:49 am

Hello,

Thanks for the post.

Main reason for removing the nuget support in vs2017 was a new requirement for VS2017 plugins to lower the performance impact on startup. As there wasn't any fast way how to make the nugget support work for php projects in VS2017 we had to remove it otherwise you would always see the margin that states that PHP Tools slows down start up.

Anyway you can use bower, npm, composer or other dependency managers which are better suited for php.

May I ask what nuget packages do you use in php project?

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby crille » August 23rd, 2017, 9:56 am

Hi!

Sorry for being quite late in my reply! ;-)

I'm not primary a developer but writes apps/portals and so on to automate and make things more effective and so on.

To handle packages in VS, I find it allot easier to maintain those throu the Solution Explorer than via cli/config files and so on. I really miss NuGet allot since that was so easy to add packages/update those and so on. Until resently I had both VS 2015 installed in combination to 2017 only to run NuGet. I would love to not need to be forced to install VS2015 again now after I did a fresh install that was really needed.

I have tried both Composer, npm, Bower and so on but I really think they work like crap... I get some errors with Composer, some others need to be used via cli and so on... My biggest wish is to get NuGet back!

If you don't want to enable NuGet again as a default option, then please add it as a option for me to choose either in installation or as a checkbox or something in VS Options PHP section or something.

So please... re-implement it again and make my day! ;-)
crille

Postby crille » October 16th, 2017, 9:16 am

Hi Miloslav!

I haven't recieved any answer or comment from you regarding my late update in this thread... Guess you have missed it.

Is it possible for you to implement this option?

TIA
/Christian
crille

Postby Miloslav Beno » October 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your suggestion and sticking with your request :-)

We'll examine if we could add an option for this in some future update.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby crille » July 24th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Hi again...

I have tried contacting you a couple of times throu mail and PM but not recieved any response there. I would like to know how the work proceeds in reactivating NuGet to phptool projects for VS2017.

Do you have any eta?

Is there any way to reactivate the NuGet support manually throu editing registry / files or so to bring the NuGet feature back like ”unsupported” / quickfix?

I understand your reason... But I dont understand why it takes so long to reactivate the already working function as a optional feature in the installation or as a choice in lets say the VS2017 settings/preferenses.

So, please... Give me some positive news...
crille

Postby Jakub Misek » August 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Hi,

In general NuGet package manager is not suited for PHP code, it serves primarily as a .NET packaging system; in PHP project there is no support for `<PackageReference>` nor the old `packages.config`. For this reason the feature has been dropped.

Quick question: what NuGet packages are you using for PHP projects?
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to PHP Tools