UTF-8 and spanish accents

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

UTF-8 and spanish accents

Postby ikeretxebarria » December 6th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Hi

This maybe is not a PHP Tools question, but maybe yes... I don't know
I've recently installed php tools in my windows machine. Before installing it I used to use a Virtual Machine for developing php sites but know, I think I'll use visual studio and php tools.
I retrieved an early project from the linux virtual machine and everything works fine apart from the text codification. Now the spanish accents or letters like ñ are not displayed correctly.

Does anybody know how can I fix it?

Thanks
ikeretxebarria

Re: UTF-8 and spanish accents

Postby Jakub Misek » December 19th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Hi,

This is handled by Visual Studio which automatically resolves encoding of opened files.

In case the file was saved with UTF-8 BOM, it is opened correctly. Otherwise, VS tries to find out the encoding of the file or eventually ends-up using your system locale.

There are few options you can try in VS Tools/Options. Try the Options dialog, and Environment->Text Editor. And tick "Auto-detect UTF-8 encoding without signature".
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to PHP Tools