the specified path file name or both are too long

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

the specified path file name or both are too long

Postby b3wii » November 2nd, 2016, 9:47 am

Hi i recently purchased php tools for vs and i now have a problem opening my project. I get the following error:

the specified path file name or both are too long. the fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters...

My phpproj file is attached.

I installed .NET Framework 4.6.2 and allowed long win32 paths but i still cann't open my projects.

Please help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b3wii

Re: the specified path file name or both are too long

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 8th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this is known limitation. It is .net exception, because in ANSI mode file system API can't handle file paths longer than 260 character. The workaround you've sent wasn't tested yet, but we'll take a look.

I can see from the attachment that you are using npm. So the real cause of the issue is not php stuff, it's this. This has known issues in Windows, but if you'd excluded it from the project ( which you should do anyway ) the issue will be gone.

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools