Could not complete the action

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Could not complete the action

Postby TechSavvySam » April 21st, 2014, 4:32 pm

Just downloaded this tool last week and I'm trying to use it. Every few minutes using this product, when I type in a single quote, a Visual Studio alert pops up and shows the message "Could not complete the action"

At that point, the only way I can proceed editing that file is to save the changes in it, close the edit window and reopen the edit window.

I'm using VS2012 patched up to date.

Hopefully I can get this resolved during the demo period--if not, I'll have to scrap this product as an option for the little bit of PHP development I have to do. Was hoping it would work because it would be nice to use VS since 99.99% of my development is .NET in VS.
TechSavvySam

Re: Could not complete the action

Postby Miloslav Beno » April 21st, 2014, 4:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I was trying to replicate, but I was unable to so far. Do you have other extensions installed? Does it happen when you edit php code, or html, js or css??

Is there some code or way more likely for this to repeat?

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby TechSavvySam » April 21st, 2014, 7:50 pm

Here are some suspicious entries from the VS AcitivityLog.xml file:

Code: Select all
  <entry>
    <record>592</record>
    <time>2014/04/21 15:19:41.481</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
    <description>System.ArgumentException: The span does not belong to a source snapshot of the projection snapshot&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.ProjectionSnapshot.MapFromSourceSnapshot(SnapshotSpan sourceSpan)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpOneLevel(FrugalList`1 spans, ITextSnapshot&amp; chosenSnapshot, Predicate`1 match, FrugalList`1 topSpans)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.CheckedMapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, Predicate`1 match)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Implementation.MappingSpan.GetSpans(ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Classification.Implementation.ClassifierAggregator.OnTagsChanged(Object sender, TagsChangedEventArgs e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)</description>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>593</record>
    <time>2014/04/21 15:19:41.481</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>System.ArgumentException: The span does not belong to a source snapshot of the projection snapshot&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.ProjectionSnapshot.MapFromSourceSnapshot(SnapshotSpan sourceSpan)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpOneLevel(FrugalList`1 spans, ITextSnapshot&amp; chosenSnapshot, Predicate`1 match, FrugalList`1 topSpans)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.CheckedMapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, Predicate`1 match)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Implementation.MappingSpan.GetSpans(ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Classification.Implementation.ClassifierAggregator.OnTagsChanged(Object sender, TagsChangedEventArgs e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)</description>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>594</record>
    <time>2014/04/21 15:19:41.491</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>System.ArgumentException: The span does not belong to a source snapshot of the projection snapshot&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.ProjectionSnapshot.MapFromSourceSnapshot(SnapshotSpan sourceSpan)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpOneLevel(FrugalList`1 spans, ITextSnapshot&amp; chosenSnapshot, Predicate`1 match, FrugalList`1 topSpans)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.CheckedMapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, Predicate`1 match)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Projection.Implementation.BufferGraph.MapUpToBuffer(SnapshotSpan span, SpanTrackingMode trackingMode, ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Implementation.MappingSpan.GetSpans(ITextBuffer targetBuffer)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Implementation.MappingSpan.GetSpans(ITextSnapshot targetSnapshot)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.AdornmentLibrary.Squiggles.Implementation.SquiggleVisualManager.OnTagsChanged(Object sender, TagsChangedEventArgs args)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)</description>
  </entry>

I have no other extensions installed that have ever caused any VS problems. I have several Telerik products installed, but they have never caused problems:

RAD AJAX Controls
JustCode
Open Access
Telerik Reporting

and NO, I can not uninstall any of these other tools. I need them every single day and I am having no issues with them.
TechSavvySam

Postby Miloslav Beno » April 21st, 2014, 9:47 pm

Thank you for the information.

Could you please send us whole activity log?

We'll test all those extensions.

What you could do now is just to turn off the new HTML editor for php files ( Tools | Options | PHP Tools | Advanced | Enable HTML editor in PHP files to false ). It uses some VS API that other extensions might not be ready for.

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby TechSavvySam » April 21st, 2014, 10:31 pm

I just emailed you the full log--hopefully it will get through your spam filters.

I also turned off the HTML editor thing you suggested.
TechSavvySam

Return to PHP Tools