Upgrade to v1.11.5062, debug no longer works in VS2012

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Upgrade to v1.11.5062, debug no longer works in VS2012

Postby bcarroll » March 19th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Hi,

I recently upgraded to the latest version of PHP Tools, v1.11.5062, in VS2012. I don't remember the version I had installed prior, but it was installed in early- to mid-October of 2013 if that helps. Since the upgrade I am no longer able to F5 debug. I get the classic Microsoft 'Index was out of range' error (screenshot attached). Typically this is due to an array overrun or the like, but I'm not even able to start the debugger so no code is being executed. As soon as I hit F5 I'm presented with the popup.

If I ctl-F5 I'm able to start IISExpress. Once that's started I am able to enter the debugger via F5 (or from the Debug menu option). However, breakpoints are completely ignored. It appears that xdebug is loading fine via phpinfo.

Things that I have tried (keep in mind that all I did was upgrade, I made no configuration changes whatsoever):
  1. Verified php.ini\xdebug configuration
  2. Cleaned up stale IISExpress site entries
  3. Uninstalled and reinstalled PHP Tools manually (not through extension manager)
  4. Tried setting xdebug to run on a different port than 9000
  5. Recreated the solution and project
  6. Closed all open tabs and reopened

I'm stuck. I really need this to work. I was very happy with the development experience before. I'm not sure why an upgrade would have changed anything with my environment.

Note that I had no issues prior to the upgrade, and I performed the upgrade through the Visual Studio 2012 extension manager.

If anyone could offer any kind of help on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
_Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bcarroll

Re: Upgrade to v1.11.5062, debug no longer works in VS2012

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 21st, 2014, 3:38 pm

Hi there!,

Thank you for reporting this behavior! I've tried to replicate this, but I was unable to do that. could you please send us the activity log ? http://www.devsense.com/doc/phptools/troubleshooting/activitylog-xml. There should be more details about the issue.

If there isn't any in the VS log, you can attach to this visual studio through another instance of visual studio and turn on breaking on the exceptions. And repeat the issue in the first VS. If you'd need more info about this process, we can do http://join.me direct session.

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 21st, 2014, 5:22 pm

One more question:

Does the same thing happens when you switch from IIS Express to PHP Build-in?

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno

Postby bcarroll » March 25th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hi Miloslav,

Thank you for your reply and my apologies for not replying sooner. I've been busy with another project.

What I've done since my last post was to clean up the sites defined in IISExpress and recreating the project. This has removed the issues I was having with the popup. My guess is that Visual Studio was confused when parsing available sites. However, I'm still confused why I would be able to start the site without debugging and then later run the debugger, but only after I've started once without debugging.

In any case, I'm still having the issue of not being able to hit breakpoints. I've since installed VS2013 but the issue follows me there as well, even with creating a brand new, clean PHP project.

As for my environment, I was running PHP 5.3.24 (that's the version that's deployed in our production environment). However, I've tried PHP 5.4 and 5.5 locally, updating xdebug accordingly, and I have the same problem. I've tried switching between IISExpress and PHP built-in, but no difference. I attached a screenshot of the breakpoint, but it's the standard "the code in the document is not loaded" message. When the web page loads during debugging the url is appended with the XDEBUG_SESSION_START key, so I'm confident that xdebug is being loaded.

Not sure what else to try. I attached the ActivityLog.xml from my test project (VS2013).

Let me know if you have questions and\or need more information.

Thanks for you help!
_Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bcarroll

Postby Miloslav Beno » March 26th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to me with this. Let's schedule http://join.me session. Write me ( miloslav at devsense.com ) when it could be ok for you to have it. I think it will speed things up.

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools