Locking Up VS 2012

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Locking Up VS 2012

Postby JamesBrown » July 21st, 2013, 6:40 pm

Many times, not always, I can run a simple index.php only project with the debugger, stop it running, and then not have control of several of the keyboard functions. For example the delete key stops working. This is only in the VS editor, other editors still work as expected.

When I attempt to close VS to clear this problem I am confronted with the dialog:
"Microsoft Visual Studio has detected that an operation is blocking user input. This can be caused by an active modal dialog or a task that needs to block user interaction. Would you like to shut down anyway?"

Windows Task Manager shows only this application running:
getOrganizations - Microsoft Visual Studio (Administrator)

This is the project I was running. No other windows are open or applications running. The only way to clear it is to try to shut down again and answer YES to the dialog.
JamesBrown

Re: Locking Up VS 2012

Postby Jakub Misek » July 22nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Hello James,

This is usually caused by a dialog window 'hidden' on background behind Visual Studio main window.

I checked all of our tool windows, and all of them are configured to be displayed on top of Visual Studio. Moreover I'm not aware of any dialog window we would show during normal use of PHP projects.

Also the functionality of delete key is just out of our potential.

I'm just thinking about another extension 'messing' with your Visual Studio. It would be very helpful to see log file of your Visual Studio.

Please could you run Visual Studio with /Log argument?
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /Log
open/run/debug/close php project, and attach the log file from
Code: Select all
"C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ActivityLog.xml"

Then I can take a better look on possible causes.

Thank you!
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Postby JamesBrown » July 25th, 2013, 11:24 pm

It took a very long while to happen and I couldn't tell you what I did to make it happen if you offered to beat me to death :? - but here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JamesBrown

Postby Jakub Misek » August 4th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Thank you!

There seems to be amount of issues with Visual Studio itself. A lot of packages issues a warning while loading (Unexpected system error mode before loading package)

I've found some common solutions for this issue:
Some common steps are needed to fix:
It seems it has something to do with the cache, so do the following:

- Clear your %temp% folder, they are all temp files. Ignore those files you cannot delete.

- We may need to reset templates. Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE);

- Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;

- Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2012) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator);

- Run the "devenv /InstallVSTemplates" switch

- Run the "devenv /Setup" switch

What did happen with VS at the moment you copied the ActivityLog.xml file?

Thank you
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to PHP Tools