Run Xdebug on a Existing Website SVN Checkout?

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Run Xdebug on a Existing Website SVN Checkout?

Postby allencoded » July 17th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Not sure if PHP Tools Community can help me but seems like a logical place to start.

I work in an office where no one here uses Visual Studio with our project. So therefore our project is not apart of a solution. We also use SVN to checkout our project and update/commit changes. The work around I have for this is that I store the solution locally and never commit or push it up the solution file to the dev server. Works flawlessly.

My problem is that this checkout stores its self as an existing website in solution. Is there any was to run xdebug on a website?

I know when I create a PHP project/solution I can, but the PHP project doesn't contain my checkout. Can anyone think of any solutions to this problem? Like maybe a way to run Xdebug on a existing website when I press run? Let me know if I need to elaborate a little more.
allencoded

Re: Run Xdebug on a Existing Website SVN Checkout?

Postby Jakub Misek » July 17th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Hi,

I'm glad you are trying PHP Tools.

First I would like to note, XDebug and Web Server are not a part of PHP Tools - PHP Tools just downloads/configures these two things automatically. XDebug is PHP extension, which is installed on the web server - it is not a part of Visual Studio or a project. The web server is configured to use specific PHP (which has to have XDebug).

Anyway, PHP Tools supports SVN (using some Visual Studio SVN plugin, e.g. Visual SVN http://www.visualsvn.com/visualsvn/).

Once you have SVN support in Visual Studio, just create PHP project in SVN directory - then checkin, checkout, anything, keeping your local solution files in place. You can run your project with debugging features, and you can always update your SVN directory from your work's repository.

Also you can configure your project to run on a your own web server.

Please let me know whether this satisfies your needs.

Thanks,
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Postby allencoded » July 17th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Awesome I am already using Visual SVN, so I will try to do what you stated.
allencoded

Postby allencoded » July 18th, 2013, 3:01 am

I just can't get it to work. I tried a few flavors.

I have SVN support in VS using Visual SVN.

First I successfully made a checkout. Then I created a new PHP solution project in the same dir as my checkout. Then I wasn't able to see the files in Visual Studio so I clicked show all files and right clicked on the trunk to add it to the project. I was able to see the files and work with them no problem BUT I cannot update or commit as VisualSVN must not recognize it when its attached to the PHP project.

Second I tried making a PHP solution/project first. Then I went into windows explorer and checked out directly into the PHP solution/project folder. Went back into VS and add the files to the project like above. Still VS wont recognize them as a checkout.

Its weird because if I go into the PHP solution and add website to the solution. Not to the project as it wont let me. I can update and commit to my hearts content.

Seems like no matter what I cant get the checkout into php project and with VS allowing me to do update and commits inside of that project. Yet I can't run the debugging feature without the checkout inside of the php project. Yet the second I attach the website to the 'solution' not to the project. Boom update and commit is available.

So I have SVN support inside of visual studio (visualSVN). I have created a php project in SVN directory. Guess I am lost on how to make VS properly see the files in the SVN folder as a checkout with update/commit.
allencoded

Solved

Postby allencoded » July 18th, 2013, 3:36 am

I think I solved it.

My dir is as follows for ref: /www/

Step by Step:
1. Make the checkout into a folder - /www/checkout
2. Create PHP solution/project (I did it in separate folder) - /www/PhpProj
3. Dragged the /www/checkout into the PHP Project (include it in project)
4. VisualSVN Menu -> Set Working Copy Root..
5. Uncheck set Determine working copy automatically.
6. Browse to /www/PhpProj/checkout (when you include the file in step 3 above it also duplicates this folder into /www/PhpProj/ folder which is fine by me)

Finally it works! I can update and commit inside of Visual Studio. No worries of committing my project either. Plus debug works beautiful.
allencoded

Postby Jakub Misek » July 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Excellent! I'm glad it works together with VisualSVN for you.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to PHP Tools