Getting an error attaching debugger to process.

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Getting an error attaching debugger to process.

Postby RichardS71 » June 14th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Hi There.

My setup is like so:
windows 7 64 bit ultimate iis 7.5
VS 2010
using custom webserver option
I did create a php project from existing code.
phpinfo shows xdebug is installed fine
Pressing f5 opens up a browser window and runs the website
If any breakpoints are set, I get multiple errors of the same kind , one after another saying the following (in each case the process id changes).
"Attaching the php debugger to process'[7684 php-cgi.exe' on machine 'NUTSV' failed. An operation is not legal in the current state.

I presume it's multiple times because the site uses ajax.

Any pointer on what to check would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
RichardS71

Re: Getting an error attaching debugger to process.

Postby Miloslav Beno » June 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for letting us know about the issue you are having.

Does it happen all the time or just once in a while? I imagine it might have something to do with the fact you are debugging ajax and the requests are dying very rapidly:/

I'd really like to be able to replicate it, if you could point me out or give me some small test project where it does happen to you, I'd check it asap. Anyway if you are not able to... I'll just try to create small project with lot of ajax to see if I'd be able to repeat the "result".

Thanks,
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby RichardS71 » June 20th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Hi Miloslav,

Thanks for your response.

The errors come up very early in every debug session. Hard to put a finger on exactly what the pattern is but break points work fine if they are in the initial pageload or the server side ajax response code to the initial page load. If I reload the page with the breakpoint in the errors come up multiple times as modal dialogs and it's end of debug session.

I know some sample code to reproduce would be useful but I'm not really adept enough at php to write something from scratch along the same lines. Sorry.

I'm not sure this has any bearing on the issue but the site is using url re-writing.

Regards

Richard
RichardS71

Postby codeowl » June 25th, 2013, 4:49 am

Richard,

Are you certain that the URL that points to the custom webserver is actually pointing to the location of the project you are working on?

I had a similar issue once and found that I had taken a copy of the project to another location, but the custom webserver URL still pointed to the projects original location, and the debugger couldn't attach.

Regards,

Scott
codeowl

Return to PHP Tools