Debugger rarely hits breakpoints!~

PHP Tools [?] extends Visual Studio with set of advanced features to work more efficiently with PHP code.

Debugger rarely hits breakpoints!~

Postby thomen » November 1st, 2014, 3:03 am

Sorry this has been driving me insane the last few days. I bought the extension and setup xdebug but debugging is really patchy and I can rarely if ever hit breakpoints in really basic php pages associated with wordpress.

I'm loading the project in as a php proj and just running using f5 but stuff like the lines pictured below will NEVER get hit.

Anyone else experiencing this and have any tips on how to get this more reliable as at the moment I'm resorting to var_dump everything which is horrible :)
thomen

Re: Debugger rarely hits breakpoints!~

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 4th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Hi thomen,

Thanks for your post. I personally never experienced that. I know that there are few cases when xdebug might get confused, but they should be quite rare.

Could you please send the picture of the code again? I'm not able to see it, probably the upload has failed.

Does debugging work at all for you? If you create a new php web project and put breakpoint in the index.php, does it get hit?

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby Post11 » November 7th, 2014, 12:15 pm

I also had this problem for a while...
I have updated my xdebug to the newest VC-Build available, and the problem was gone.
Some Expressions/Variable data caused the problem, a break point it was working until a specified line, after this line, a break point was not working.

maybe you have the same problem...
Post11

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Hi,

It would be interesting to know which line might cause this strange behavior. Do you know what xdebug version you've had before?

I know there was an one big issue with Xdebug 2.2.4, which was fixed in 2.2.5. But I'm not sure if it's related.
Miloslav Beno

Postby Post11 » November 10th, 2014, 7:29 am

I has updated my server from 2.2.3.1_vc9 to 2.2.5.0_vc9. It is working now for month.
Post11

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 13th, 2014, 2:05 pm

There were many fixes between those two versions. I'm glad it solved it for you.

Thanks!
Miloslav Beno

Return to PHP Tools