Some feedback and problems

Phalanger Tools for Visual Studio [?] is complete PHP/Phalanger integration into Visual Studio development environment.

Some feedback and problems

Postby Matze177 » July 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Hi there,

found you're Visual Studio extension this morning and tried the free version. I started with low expectations (since previously I just used the build-in XML-Text-Editor which just displays the content). I hate trials with time limits, so I found the feature-reduced free version a good idea. Read the limitations of the free part und decided to give it a try.

Before I got to some real testing I encountered two absolut show stopper:

(1) The "support" for file extensions other then ".php", like the very common ".inc" (for includes) is restricted to the licensed version. This is quite rediculous, has no technical reason and is really not in the sense of a "fully functional" free version.

(2) The first script I openend got the designer killed (Visual Studio 2010 Premium). I appended a screenshot and would provide further informations to help you correct the issue. On other "php"-files the editor seems to work though I suppose it's one of the usual specials that software development brings with it ;)

While the second one is probably just a bug, the first one is a serious limitation which keeps me from using the extension and prevents even thinking about licensing the full version.

Regards,
Matthias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matze177

Re: Some feedback and problems

Postby Miloslav Beno » July 30th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Hi Matthias,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

(1) The "support" for file extensions in VS had also technical character as for example *.inc files are also associated with C++. But your argument here is valid. We'll take a look what we could do about it in the next version.

(2) Yes, this is certainly a bug, are you trying PHP Tools or Phalanger Tools? Could you provide us with the php file you've tried to open?

Thank you!
Miloslav Beno │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. │ @miloslavbenomiloslav@devsense.com
Miloslav Beno

Postby Matze177 » July 31st, 2012, 8:20 pm

I was trying the PHP Tools.

I attached the file that keeps crashing the editor. Hope it helps!

Greets,
Matthias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matze177

Postby Jakub Misek » July 31st, 2012, 8:49 pm

Hi, thanks for the sample.

PHP Tools itself does not contain any kind of designer. The error you see is related to Form designer, which is only available in our related opensource project - Phalanger (and in other products, but not ours).

Is it possible you have associated .php files with a different Visual Studio extension/editor? Or you have installed Phalanger or Phalanger Tools?

Thanks for the feedback, and for helping us to solve this issue.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Postby Miloslav Beno » August 1st, 2012, 1:49 pm

Jakub's has a point. It seems some other editor is opening this file as in the call stack you've sent here there isn't any method from our extension.

I've also checked the file and opened it without a problem.

What you could try to do is to open this file with "Open with..." and choose PHP Editor.
Miloslav Beno

Postby Miloslav Beno » November 1st, 2012, 9:09 pm

Hello,

I've just wanted to update on this thread that the "support" for file extensions other then ".php" were added to free version in the newest release.

Thank you
Miloslav Beno

Postby alanjmcf » April 23rd, 2013, 1:32 pm

I see the problem with the Designer opening here too. In my case it affects three files out of six in my project.

TL;DR: To fix, open the VS project file in a text editor and remove the <SubType> element from each of the affected .php file elements!

My initial workaround has been to open the file which results in the error Designer windows, and then I hit F7 to open the Code window. Or instead I use ViewCode from the context menu to open directly.

With some inspection, for the good files the context menu has Open and OpenWith but for the bad files it has also ViewCode and ViewDesigner. It doesn't appear to matter what setting is "(Default)" in the OpenWith dialog.

With further inspection, when I look at the project file (I've a csproj file in my case), I see the three 'bad' files each have a <SubType> element e.g.:
Code: Select all
    <None Include="..\src\whats-on-tmp-edit-code.php">
      <Link>items\whats-on-tmp-edit-code.php</Link>
      <SubType>Designer</SubType>
    </None>

Once I edit the project file and remove the SubType then all works perfectly...

Alan
alanjmcf

Return to Phalanger Tools