syntax highlighting does not work, all the PHP code is gray

Phalanger Tools for Visual Studio [?] is complete PHP/Phalanger integration into Visual Studio development environment.

syntax highlighting does not work, all the PHP code is gray

Postby Jakub Misek » September 8th, 2011, 5:41 pm

For anyone facing the same problem, i've copied a part of following mail conversation:
Nathan wrote:Hello,
I am evaluating Phalanger with Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. I was excited to try this out. I installed it successfully, including the Tools for VS. But when I opened a php file in VS2010, it shows everything in gray text, like normal. There is no syntax coloring/highlighting, nothing. How can I fix this?
Thanks,Nate Jensen

Jakub Míšek wrote:It seems your Visual Studio is configured to open .php files using integrated “XML (Text) editor”. To allow our integration to colorize the code etc. you have to open .php files using “Source code (text) Editor”. Try to open some .php file from File – Open menu, and choose Open with option.Then select “Source code (text) Editor” or “Automatic …”, “Set as Default” and the code should be colorized from now.  I hope it will help. Regards,Jakub Misek

Nathan wrote:Jakub, It worked!! Thank you so much. This is really awesome, and I’m happy there is an open-source alternative to the $100 VS.PHP.(...)
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Re: syntax highlighting does not work, all the PHP code is g

Postby ps2goat » April 25th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I have the same issue. I tried opening the php files as text editor (source), and the code is all black.

By the way, I am trying to work on an existing wordpress-based website. (Existed as a website; did not start it as a phalanger template.)

I just installed Phalanger to use the syntax highlighting capabilities, which I am unable to use apparently.

Please advise. I'm using VS 2010 SP 1, just got the Phalanger release today. I did look in the Extension manager, but the only thing listed there is Nuget.
ps2goat

Re: syntax highlighting does not work, all the PHP code is g

Postby Jakub Misek » April 26th, 2012, 7:44 am

ps2goat wrote:I did look in the Extension manager, but the only thing listed there is Nuget.

Hi,
The above means you don't have 'Phalanger Tools' installed. Try to use the Setup attached within the release at http://phalanger.codeplex.com/releases/view/86142 and install Phalanger and Phalanger Tools for Visual Studio.
Jakub Misek │ DEVSENSE s.r.o. | @misekjakubjakub@devsense.com
Jakub Misek

Return to Phalanger Tools